(a broadside)

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Atheism in Gaming?

A few nights ago, I had a writing fit within my moleskin, mulling over the nature of religion and how it functions in fantasy settings. I've been trying to come up with a structured method to present this information. I've come to think my frenzied midnight notes should suffice.


"Religion in a fantasy setting.

  • Necessary?
  • Overdone
  • Like Earth's gods of myth, they often interact with/war with one another. 
  • Unlike RL, fantasy gods are often demonstrably real.
    • Grant keen powers.
    • Walk the earth like they own the place.
    • Dirt common in fantasy. Too common? 
What are the benefits of gods in a fantasy setting?
  • Adds richness to the world
  • Interesting creation myths
  • Conflict!
Hell, what would the Vikings be without such awesome gods as Thor and Odin? Without Loki to ruin things? What 
kind of warriors would they be if the warrior didn't care to earn his way into Valhalla?

I'm not saying fantasy religions are bad. Far from it. But, how about alternatives?

Worlds Without Gods.
  • Not very common in fantasy gaming. Athas (Dark Sun) is the only example I can think of.
    • But, even then, people still worship. The elements themselves are revered, as well as the sorcerer kings that rule the various city states.
      • This supports my idea that "if there are no gods, men will create them."
  • The Star Wars Universe, other than a few local deities that are rarely spoken of, has no major gods.
    • Still, they have the Force, which practically replaces gods in terms of religious faith.
In closing, I think a setting without any gods or faith is missing out. I don't necessarily think that such a setting would be worse, but I think it'd be lacking a fair amount of color and conflict. Why remove something that adds so much difficulty (and aid) to day to day life? Could you imagine if the gods of Forgotten Realms were just abstract constructs?"

Not very clean, but to the point. I'll get this whole blog writing thing down, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment