(a broadside)

Saturday, May 15, 2010

What's Up With the Name, Anyway?

Resurrectionists, Grave Robbers, Body Snatchers. Subjects of such films as I Sell the Dead. Gentle folk what dig up stiffs, rifle through the deceased's grave goods, and then sell the corpse for medical research.

Everyone wins!

So, why the name choice? I'm a fan of dead people. Big fan. Ever since my early youth, I've had a thing for creep factor and ambulatory corpses. Blame Disney. No, really. Disney's Skeleton Dance, The Old Mill, and Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia. The Nightmare Before Christmas came out right around the first time I played Dungeons and Dragons. All are delightful and creepy. Ghosts, ghouls, and zombies have thereafter been a constant companion. Gave me a fondness for classical music, too.

My players curse my fondness. Dead folks tend to worm their way into my games, making the lives of the PCs much less pleasant.

Furthermore, I rejoice in gloom. Nothing makes me quite as a happy as a steel grey sky and a rain shower. Gallows humor tickles my sensibilities. This is not to say that I reject the pleasant. I like to mesh the two. The happy and the heinous. The horrible and the adorable. Adorahorrible. This dual aesthetic is my motif. Skulls and smiley faces.

So, the name. Those who dig up graves bring rotten things to light. It's their livelihood, their "thing." I like a bunch of rotten things, with different meanings. The walking dead. Horror (and gloomy fantasy) genres. Terrible movies. I want to dig these things up and share them with you.

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment