(a broadside)

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Plate

It's summer time, and I'm itching to roll some dice..

Now, among my flaws lies the Devil Indecision. The little blue gimp perches upon my shoulder, battling its own shoulder-gimps over what sort of advice to offer in this or that situation. I talk to my people, he talks to his people, whole lotta nothing gets done.

Also, I have this silly notion about "making everyone happy," and thus having other people pick/make suggestions. It turns out that most people have shoulder gimps. Or an Invisible Uncaring Spirit. Both are wicked and problematic for my neuroses.

So, I try to limit my options. Lay out a limited selection and go from there.

Fortunately, one game is already set. I'll be running a Savage Worlds Realm of Cthulhu game on Google Wave for some old friends Back East. To capture the pulpy feel of SW (as opposed to the "you're just a sad sack of crap" feeling I get from Chaosium's system), I'm having the game take place in the early-mid thirties, and follow an Indiana Jones type setup. Miskatonic archaeologists go on a trek to discover ancient artifacts, encounter angry natives, occultist Nazis, and ye liveliest evils have themselves a two fisted adventure.

The real life games are a touch more complicated. I have a wide group of players to work with, and I haven't played a game with most of them. I'm the kinda guy that likes to know what I'm getting into before I jump into the DM chair, but, since I haven't run a game in years, I'm starved for the manna of GMitude.

I've so far whittled the selection down to:

  • 3.5 Iron Kingdoms. Some of my potential players are familiar with the world due to the war game WarMachine, so that's a bonus. It's one of my very favorite D&D settings, filled with a non-standard fantasy milieu, steam punk, and undead pirates.  It may be too complicated for folks new to the hobby, however.
  • Savage Worlds: Deadlands: Reloaded. SW is great for people who lack time, and, with so many folks having family obligations, it mightn't be a bad game to teach to folks. Also, it's awesome. Also also, Deadlands is a fantastic setting . . . a spaghetti western with meat.
  • Warhammer Fantasy: Another twisted fantasy world. I'd probably end up using Savage Worlds instead of the setting's rules, as I find SW suitably gritty (one hit kills entirely possible), yet also quite elevating. WHFRP starts you off as a nobody. If you're really unlucky, you could be a homeless vagrant with almost nothing to your name. I love the setting, but I think SW would be able to satisfactorily convey the setting's feel.
  • And, if that doesn't suffice, there's always good ole fashioned D&D with Dave Arneson's Blackmoor as the setting du jour.

Good intros, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment